Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Corn and Crab Chowder

I love crab, especially when I can get lump or jumbo lump at a great price, and I stock up. I also love corn chowder. Put the two together and... wow! So yummy! I made this chowder before my parents arrived for their weekend getaway, and when they taste-tested it for me it got rave reviews. Like most of my recipes, this is a blend of several ideas, but it started with a corn chowder recipe that I came up with a year ago or so. This is has just been modified to blend well with the flavor of crab so it doesn't get lost among the other flavors. You can also add shrimp, scallops, fish, or lobster meat if you have that available. Also, I would suggest making the full batch and reheating for later meals... the flavors really blend much more after a day or two. Corn and crab chowder is very warming, filling, and satisfying! Enjoy :o)

Corn and Crab Chowder
makes about 10 servings 

Ingredients
5 slices bacon
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon dry sherry or brandy
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicier)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cups corn kernels
4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 small can tiny shrimp (optional)
1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
 

Place the bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven and cook over medium, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon, allow it to cool, crumble, and set aside.

In the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Stir in the onion, green pepper, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Pour in the white wine and brandy/sherry, and bring to a simmer. Season with the basil, pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the corn and potatoes, then pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

While the soup is simmering, melt 1/2 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour has turned the color of peanut butter to make a roux, about 10 minutes.

Stir the roux into the soup, and pour in the heavy cream, milk, and reserved bacon. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook until the potatoes are tender, and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with Cajun seasoning. Stir in the shrimp and crab meat shortly before serving just to heat through.
Yum! :o)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meg!

    I just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that I made this chowder tonight - it was fabulous, thank you for the inspiration!

    I thought to myself, if this girl can cook as good as she can flip, then it's worth a try!

    I also smiled when I read that your parents were taste testers - I hope all is well with them, please tell them hello for me next time you speak to them!

    Take care,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete