Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Coconut Curry with Shrimp

When we first started dating, Andy introduced me to the world of Thai food, and more specifically to Brown Sugar. Brown Sugar is a glorious Thai restaurant on Comm Ave in Boston, and I seriously wish we lived closer to it now! When we first started going, I played it safe and ordered my go-to meal of Pad Thai. On one date night I decided I would get a little adventurous and try a curry dish - best decision ever! I have never turned back since. Brown Sugar makes a delicious coconut curry dish with shrimp that I adore, so I decided that I would try to reinvent it at home for those days when I had a craving, but couldn't venture to the restaurant. After several trials, I think I got pretty close to the restaurant version and I am very pleased with the taste.... plus, it's so easy! The trick is to use a red curry paste that you like. I have tried 4 or 5, and found a really great one at Whole Foods, however the next time I went to re-stock I couldn't find the same brand. Now I use one by "Amoy" that I found at Super 88 that is just as good, if not better, than the Whole Foods one that I loved. Red curry paste can be a little spicy, so start off on the cautious side because you can always add more as it cooks. Enjoy :o)

Thai Coconut Curry with Shrimp
Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, cut into 1 inch slices
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 tbsp. red curry paste (or to taste)
2 cans coconut milk
1 cup pineapple chunks - canned or fresh
2 green onions cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
cooked jasmine rice, for serving

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and sautee until slightly softened, 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and stir to coat the vegetables. Add the coconut milk and pineapple and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer the coconut curry mixture until thickened and slightly reduced, approximately 15 minutes - stir frequently to prevent burning and sticking. Add the green onion and shrimp and simmer until the shrimp are cooked through, being careful not to overcook. Serve over jasmine rice. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment