Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stromboli

Ahh stromboli, how I love thee. Stromboli is basically a large, rolled version of pizza that typically contains cheeses, vegetables, and Italian meats. As far back as I can remember, my very Italian grandmother would bring "Broccoli Bread" (as she called it) to holidays and family gatherings, and sometimes she would just drop by with one right out of the oven, still on the baking sheet. Yum! When I was little, I fondly remember making stromboli with my grandma, and also with my mom at home. I can clearly picture sitting on the kitchen counter, smushing down pizza dough and sprinkling on the sesame seeds. As I got older, I took over more tasks in the stromboli process, and today I frequently make them... all on my own! Below is the recipe that I have made my own, which is a happy blend of the versions that my grandma and mom make. Thanks, ladies!

Stromboli

1 ball of refrigerated pizza dough (or frozen, defrosted)
olive oil
1/3 lb. provolone cheese
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 lb. hard salami, sliced very thin
6 paper thin slices of domestic prosciutto
1/4 lb. hot Capicola, sliced thin
sliced pepperoni (I don't know weight, I just ask for a handful from the deli)
1 box frozen chopped broccoli, defrosted, squeezed dry
1/4 c. marinara sauce (homemade or jarred)
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 egg, beaten
sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a large baking sheet and spread out the pizza dough as far to the edges as possible. I find that it is a little easier to stretch when the dough is closer to room temperature. Once the dough is stretched, let it rest for 10 minutes. 

Layer the stromboli keeping all fillings at least one inch away from the edge of the dough. Overlap the items on each layer so the previous layer is completely covered. You can layer any way that you want, but after many variations the following layers have worked the best for me, starting on the bottom layer: provolone, prosciutto, pepperoni, marinara, broccoli, mozzarella, Italian seasoning, Capicola, salami.

Roll the stromboli. Starting at a long end, gently roll up the stromboli. Go slow and tuck in the layers as you go. When you get to the other end and the stromboli is completely rolled, position the roll seam side down in the center of the baking sheet. Let rest for 10 minutes. After it has rested, use a sharp knife to poke 5 slits in the top of the roll to let steam escape. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes (depends on your dough) until deeply golden brown. Slide stromboli onto a cooling rack and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes (otherwise everything will ooze out when you cut it). Cut into 1 inch slices and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment