Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Reuben Sandwiches

I always forget how much I enjoy Reubens until I have one after a long hiatus. When given sandwich options, I'm much more likely to go with a grilled chicken or deli turkey breast concoction, but when St. Patrick's Day rolls around, the Reuben is the only way to go.  Layers of corned beef, sauerkraut, Russian (or Thousand Island) dressing, and melted Swiss cheese get grilled together on some buttered Rye bread to make a perfectly balanced, albeit not-that-healthy, sandwich. I have eaten several versions of this sandwich over the years, but when I decided to make my own it only made sense to combine the parts that I like best to make my ideal Reuben. I am not claiming that this is authentic, however I am certain that these are delicious! When researching the dressing in this sandwich, most sources claimed that Russian was the way to go, however I prefer Thousand Island and I had the ingredients on hand for it so that's what I went with. The two dressings taste very similar to me, so use what you have. Enjoy! :o)

Reuben Sandwiches
Makes 2 Sandwiches

Ingredients
4 slices bread (Rye is traditional, but I'm not a fan so I used whole wheat)
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
Thousand Island dressing (see recipe below)
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 (8 oz.) can sauerkraut, drained
4 oz. corned beef (available at the deli), warmed slightly

Directions
In a small skillet over medium low heat, cook the sauerkraut until warmed through. Set aside.

Spread some butter on one side of each piece of bread. With the buttered sides down, assemble the sandwiches. Spread a tablespoon or so of Thousand Island dressing on each slice of bread. Start layering with half of the corned beef, then one slice of cheese, the warmed sauerkraut, then finally one more slice of cheese. Top with the other piece of bread, buttered side out, and press slightly. Heat a non-stick skillet (I used a panini press) and toast the sandwiches, pressing gently, until golden brown on each side. Slice and serve with extra dressing, if desired. Yum!

Thousand Island Dressing 
Makes about 1/2 cup
Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. sweet pickle relish (or chop pickles that you have on hand)
2 tsp. white onion, grated or minced
1/8 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste

Directions
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until using.

source: adapted from Make it From Scratch

No comments:

Post a Comment